Sunday, October 18, 2009

Marinara Sauce


Marinara Sauce is the most basic Red Pasta Sauce. You can add cooked meat to it to make it a meat sauce such as Sausage or Meatballs or even browned ground beef. Everyone makes it slightly different and it's all good. Here is my basic marinara sauce. I think I do it different from everyone but it works for me. My family loves it and it's fast and easy. For some dishes I like a chunky sauce but usually I make it smooth.
This is not Red Gravy, this is a basic Sauce.

Ingredients:
1/4 c Olive Oil
3 cloves Garlic, minced
1 small Onion, Chopped
1/4 c Wine, (I use a red table wine such as Chianti)
1 Tbsp Sugar (sugar will help to neutralize the acids from tomatoes)
2 Tbsp Chopped sweet basil or 1 tsp dried
2 28oz cans Tomatoes, whole or diced. (for chunky sauce) Blend in blender for a smoother sauce.
(Leave tomatoes as is if you like your sauce chunky. I personally like to put the tomatoes into the blender for a few seconds before cooking. I don't know why but to me it has a better texture and flavor than using ground tomatoes.)

In a large saucepan or dutch oven heat garlic till slightly tender.
Add onion and cook till tender
Add wine and simmer for 2 - three minutes
Add tomatoes and bring to boil, stirring frequently. About 10 minutes.
Add basil and sugar and stir
Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for at least 15 minutes, stirring frequently
Salt and Pepper and Garlic Powder to taste and some crushed red pepper if desired.

Use for recipes or serve over pasta or bread. Add a little oregano for pizza sauce.
Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment