Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Pasta and Broccoli


When I was a kid my mother and grandmother (Two extraordinary cooks) Never made pasta and broccoli. The first time I tasted this delight was at my best friend Nicky's house. It was one of those last minute things where his mother said. "Stay awhile, I'll make pasta and broccoli." I have always loved trying new foods but the thought of pasta and vegetables doesn't make a 13 year old Greaser exactly swoon. She went to work and within about 15 minutes it was ready. I could not believe how wonderful such a simple dish could be. It has been one of my favorites ever since. It's fast it's simple and it's delicious and very inexpensive.

Ingredients
1 LB Pasta. You can use any pasta you like. Shells seem to be the most commonly used.
1 Lb Bag Frozen Broccoli Florettes (Fresh is great but for this dish and the sake of simplicity I like frozen.)
1/2 C Olive Oil
2 cloves Garlic Chopped or if you prefer, sliced thin.

In your pasta pot cook pasta to directions on pkg.
In a saucepan cook Broccoli per directions on pkg.

Aglio Olio (Garlic and Oil)
Two minutes before pasta is to come out of the pot lightly brown garlic in a skillet.
(Do not let garlic get too brown, go for lightly golden.)


Drain pasta and Drain Broccoli
Place both in large bowl
Cover with aglio olio and toss well.
Sprinkle with some Parmesan and serve.

2 comments:

  1. Cindi Arquilla-BurtonAugust 19, 2009 at 6:11 AM

    I'm definitely making this !! I remember my mother making it, it was so good.. Thanks for posting it!!
    Cindi Arquilla-Burton.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The most fantastic part about aglio-olio is that you can add virtually ANYthing and it's delicious! We'd have it with peas or asparagus/parmesan cheese... it's the most perfect base for a fabulous tasting pasta! After the garlic's simmered, throw in chopped tomatoes and clams... the best Friday night meal possible!

    ReplyDelete