Monday, August 10, 2009

Timpano


Ever since I saw the movie, "The Big Night" I was intrigued by a dish they served called Timpano. The dish takes it's name from the Timpani Drum. It's literally a drum filled with a symphany of flavor. I looked at many recipes I then did it on my own. First try was a total success so here is my version of Timpano. The only special equipment you will need is two springform pans.

This recipe makes 2 Timpano. Each will generously serve 4 - 6 people.

Ingredients:
1 batch of my favorite bread dough. Divide in two. (See post from July 2009)
1 pot of your favorite pasta sauce or red gravy.
3 or 4 different types of pasta. about a half pound each. I used mostaccioli, Rotini, (springs)
and bow ties. Use what you like
1 pound Italian Sausage cut into 2" lengths and cooked in red gravy.
20 or so.. cooked meatballs about 1' diameter
Optional: Green Olives, Artichoke Hearts, Sliced Pepperoni. Shredded Mozzarella

Prep work
Cook Pastas separately extremely al dente (firm) The pasta will cook more in the sauce as the Timpano bakes. Toss cooked pasta in sauce. Keep each type separate.
Have meats cooked and ready

Preheat Oven to 450f

Time to build your Timpano.
Roll out each piece of dough to about an 18 inch circle. Place in bottom of springform pan with ends overlapping all around.

Bottom Layer:
Place one ladle of sauce in bottom of pan and lightly spread it to edges.
Spread any one of your different pastas over sauce about 1 inch high.
Ladle in some more sauce.
Be generous with your sauce as your meatballs and pastas will absorb sauce as it bakes.
toss in a few pieces of sausage, a few meatballs and if you are using them a couple olives and or artichoke hearts.
Press these additions down into the layer of pasta.
Sprinkle on a light layer of mozzarella
Middle Layer:
Repeat with another type of pasta with another layer also about 1 inch high.
Again, sprinkle with cheese
Top Layer:
Repeat with your third type of pasta till your pan is filled and slightly bulging in the middle.

Bring up your overlapping edges of dough and pinch together on top to seal. You may have to trim some dough but make sure your Timpano is sealed.

Bake at 450 for 25 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand five minutes.
Remove Timpano from springform pan and serve by cutting into wedges. I cut mine into six equal pieces.

Enjoy

2 comments:

  1. wow ty artie i know when u made it the first time u said your kids loved it alot and u told me about it im going try this one as soon as i get my new oven yum yum cant wait

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am DEFiNITELY going to make this!!! OMG Artie- that is one of my all time favorite movies- I LOVE it!!!!!

    ReplyDelete